Towers of Sighişoara

The walls of Sighişoara were part of an effective defensive system to protect the historic citadel. Each tower on the walls was built, owned, and defended by different guilds. There were originally 14 unique towers but only 9 survive today. I was able to see 8 of them.

A popular place to start exploring the UNESCO World Heritage listed town is the Turnul cu Ceas (Clock Tower), which was built in 1280. It was the main entrance to the town and the largest of all the towers at 64m tall. It also served as the town hall until 1556. Turnul cu Ceas was the only tower on the walls that was owned and operated by the public.

Turnul cu Ceas in Sighişoara, Romania

Turnul cu Ceas

Turnul cu Ceas in Sighişoara, Romania

Turnul cu Ceas

The clock was installed in 1648 and has several wooden figures representing concepts such as justice, peace, and law. Seven more figures represent the days of the week.

Turnul cu Ceas in Sighişoara, Romania

Turnul cu Ceas

The clock tower can be climbed to the top for great views of the town. On the way up, situated on different levels, is the town’s history museum. A combination ticket for the Clock Tower/History Museum also gives admission to the Torture Room Museum and Medieval Weapons Collection (in Casa Dracul), both of which are not very interesting but worth a quick look. All three attractions are closed Mondays.

View from Turnul cu Ceas in Sighişoara, Romania

View from Turnul cu Ceas

View from Turnul cu Ceas in Sighişoara, Romania

View from Turnul cu Ceas

View from Turnul cu Ceas in Sighişoara, Romania

View from Turnul cu Ceas

View from Turnul cu Ceas in Sighişoara, Romania

View from Turnul cu Ceas

View from Turnul cu Ceas in Sighişoara, Romania

View from Turnul cu Ceas

The Ropemaker’s Tower can be reached via the Scholars’ Stairs. It was built in the 13th century and is one of the oldest buildings in town. The caretaker of the German cemetery uses it as a house today.

Ropemaker’s Tower in Sighişoara, Romania

Ropemaker’s Tower

The Butcher’s Tower and Furrier’s Tower are situated opposite each other not too far from the Scholars’ Stairs. The Butcher’s Tower was built in the 15th century while the Furrier’s Tower was built in the 14th century and rebuilt in 1568.

Butcher’s Tower in Sighişoara, Romania

Butcher’s Tower

Furrier’s Tower in Sighişoara, Romania

Furrier’s Tower

The Tailor’s Tower was originally built in the 14th century but rebuilt in 1676 after a fire. It was kept up by the richest guild in town and guarded the second entry to the citadel.

Tailor’s Tower in Sighişoara, Romania

Tailor’s Tower

Next to St. Joseph’s Church is the Shoemaker’s Tower, originally built in 1522 but rebuilt completely in 1650.

Shoemaker’s Tower in Sighişoara, Romania

Shoemaker’s Tower

The Blacksmith’s Tower sits near the Monastery Church. It was built in 1631 in place of the Barber’s Tower.

Blacksmith’s Tower in Sighişoara, Romania

Blacksmith’s Tower

Finally, the Tinsmith’s Tower can be seen easily from the Clock Tower. It has the second best defensive position of all the towers and stands 25m high.

Tinsmith's Tower in Sighişoara, Romania

Tinsmith’s Tower

%d bloggers like this: