To the west of the historic walled city of Braşov is the traditionally Bulgarian and Romanian neighborhood, Şchei. Residents of the area were not allowed to own property within the city walls until the 17th century. They could only enter the city gates at certain times and had to pay a toll to do so.
Piața Unirii (Union Square), the second main square in Braşov, is the focal point of Şchei. It’s surrounded by some beautiful buildings. The Monumentul Eroilor (Heroes Monument) sits in the middle of the square.
Just off Piața Unirii is St. Nicholas Orthodox Cathedral. It was built in 1495 on the site of an older church dating back to 1292 and was an important intellectual and cultural center for the Romanian population of the city.
The First Romanian School sits on the grounds of St. Nicholas. Built in 1595, it was the first school teaching in the Romanian language. It contains the first Romanian bible, the first Romanian printing press, and a library of 6,000 Romanian books.