Last updated on .

Yıldız is a neighborhood in Istanbul situated around the Yıldız Palace complex and Yıldız Park. It lies east of Barbaros Boulevard and central Beşiktaş.

 

Introduction to Yıldız

Yıldız was a forest during the Byzantine period and didn’t develop until the construction of Yıldız Palace in the 19th century. From 1946 through 1974, the area was populated mainly by families of soldiers and civil servants based at the military academies that occupied some of the palace buildings. Growth accelerated in 1958 after the opening of Barbaros Boulevard. Most of the neighborhood is occupied by the palace complex and park, but there are a few other attractions in the area.



 

Yahya Kemal Park

First, on the western edge of the neighborhood along Barbaros Boulevard is Yahya Kemal Park (Yahya Kemal Parkı), also known as Serencebey Park (Serencebey Parkı). It’s a large park named for poet Yahya Kemal (1884-1958). It features a playground, basketball courts, and plenty of places to sit and relax in the shade.

Yahya Kemal Park in Yıldız, Istanbul, Turkey
Yahya Kemal Park
Yahya Kemal Park in Yıldız, Istanbul, Turkey
Yahya Kemal Park

There are two monuments in the park. The statue of Yahya Kemal was made by sculptor Hüseyin Gezer  (1920-2013) and added to the park in 1968.

Statue of Yahya Kemal in Yahya Kemal Park
Statue of Yahya Kemal

A few steps south is a bronze statue of Mehmed the Conqueror by Sait Rüstem. It’s based on a model of a statue found in the collection of the Harbiye Military Museum. The statue, which took two months to complete, was unveiled in 2009 and weighs 2 ½ tons.

Statue of Mehmed the Conqueror in Yahya Kemal Park
Statue of Mehmed the Conqueror
Statue of Mehmed the Conqueror in Yahya Kemal Park
Statue of Mehmed the Conqueror

 

Tomb of Sheikh Muhammed Zafir

Along a road just south of the park is the Art Nouveau tomb of Sheikh Muhammed Zafir (Şeyh Muhammed Zafir Türbesi). It was commissioned by Sultan Abdülhamid II and built between 1903 and 1904 by Italian architect Raimondo D’Aronco (1857-1932).

Tomb of Sheikh Muhammed Zafir in Yıldız, Istanbul, Turkey
Tomb of Sheikh Muhammed Zafir

Sheikh Muhammed Zafir (1829-1903) was born in Misrata, Libya, and first arrived in Constantinople (now Istanbul) in 1870. After a few years away, he was invited by Abdülhamid II and stayed until his death. The sheikh and Sultan became very close.

Tomb of Sheikh Muhammed Zafir
Tomb of Sheikh Muhammed Zafir

The tomb sits next to the Ertuğrul Tekke Mosque (Ertuğrul Tekke Camii), which was also commissioned by Abdülhamid II and completed in 1887. Nearby is an Art Nouveau fountain. The tomb is typically locked. To enter, you’ll have to track down the caretaker.

Fountain at the tomb of Sheikh Muhammed Zafir
Fountain



 

Istanbul Fire Department Museum

On the south end of the neighborhood is the Istanbul Fire Department Museum (İtfaiye Müzesi), which opened in its current location in 1992. It chronicles the history of the Istanbul’s firefighters, who have protected the city since the 18th century. Admission is free (as of May 2025) and it’s open weekdays. All displays are in Turkish.

Istanbul Fire Department Museum
Istanbul Fire Department Museum
Gallery in the Istanbul Fire Department Museum
Gallery
Gallery in the Istanbul Fire Department Museum in Yıldız, Istanbul, Turkey
Gallery

The story is presented in chronological order from the first quarter of the 18th century to the present, starting with water pumpers (tulumbacı) of the Ottoman period. Artifacts include historic firefighters’ uniforms, axes, leather buckets, and more.

Early uniform at the Istanbul Fire Department Museum
Early uniform
Hoses used from 1874 to 1923 at the Istanbul Fire Department Museum in Yıldız, Istanbul, Turkey
Hoses used from 1874 to 1923
19th century ladder and barrel used between 1826 and 1874 at the Istanbul Fire Department Museum
19th century ladder and barrel used between 1826 and 1874
Uniforms and helmets at the Istanbul Fire Department Museum
Uniforms and helmets
19th century equipment at the Istanbul Fire Department Museum
19th century equipment

Equipment such as water pumping tools and 19th-century steam-operated and horse-drawn pumps are on display. You’ll also see the first motorized pumps used in Istanbul.

Water pumps at the Istanbul Fire Department Museum
Water pumps
Horse-drawn steam pump at the Istanbul Fire Department Museum in Yıldız, Istanbul, Turkey
Horse-drawn steam pump
Horse-drawn steam pump at the Istanbul Fire Department Museum
Horse-drawn steam pump
Motorized pump used from 1874 to 1923 at the Istanbul Fire Department Museum
Motorized pump used from 1874 to 1923

Models and scenes, as well as paintings and photographs of some of the most devastating fires to ravage the city, are also exhibited.

Neighborhood water pumpers in the 19th century at the Istanbul Fire Department Museum in Yıldız, Istanbul, Turkey
Neighborhood water pumpers in the 19th century
Scene at the Istanbul Fire Department Museum
Scene

 

Count Ödön Széchenyi Display

A special section honors Count Ödön Széchenyi (1839-1922). He was invited to Constantinople in 1871 by Sultan Abdülaziz to consult on the city’s firefighting techniques. Devastating fires in 1873 resulted in the establishment of an official fire brigade on September 2, 1874. Széchenyi returned to the city the following month and was named the head of the brigade on November 24. He then transformed it into a professional and disciplined team while implementing modern tools and techniques. Széchenyi is credited with revolutionizing the way fires were fought in the city, and is believed to be the first Christian honored with the title of Pasha without having to convert to Islam.

Count Ödön Széchenyi section at the Istanbul Fire Department Museum in Yıldız, Istanbul, Turkey
Count Ödön Széchenyi section
Uniform of Count Ödön Széchenyi at the Istanbul Fire Department Museum
Uniform of Count Ödön Széchenyi



 

Little Mecidiye Mosque

At the lower entrance to Yıldız Park is the Little Mecidiye Mosque (Küçük Mecidiye Camii), which was built for Sultan Abdülmecid I and completed in 1848. It was designed in the Baroque style by Ottoman Armenian architect Garabet Balyan (1800-1866) and his son, Nigoğayos (1826-1858).

Little Mecidiye Mosque in Yıldız, Istanbul, Turkey
Little Mecidiye Mosque

The original name was Çırağan Mosque (Çırağan Camii), and it was likely built as an addition to Çırağan Palace across the street. Servants working at both Çırağan and Yıldız Palaces attended prayers there.

Little Mecidiye Mosque
Little Mecidiye Mosque

The entrance to the mosque is through a narthex on the north side. The prayer hall, which is decorated in the Baroque and Rococo styles, is on a square plan roughly 12.5 meters on each side. It features a sultan’s loge on both sides.

Prayer hall of the Little Mecidiye Mosque in Yıldız, Istanbul, Turkey
Prayer hall
Dome of the Little Mecidiye Mosque in Yıldız, Istanbul, Turkey
Dome

 

Sheikh Yahyâ Efendi Complex

Up a steep street just east of the mosque is the Sheikh Yahyâ Efendi Complex (Şeyh Yahyâ Efendi Külliyesi), which is one of the most visited places in Istanbul. The complex was founded in 1538 by Yahyâ Efendi (1494-1570), a Sufi scholar and teacher of sacred sciences during the reign of Süleyman the Magnificent. He also advised the Sultan from time to time. It consists of a mosque, dervish lodge, library, fountain, cemetery, and tomb.

Sheikh Yahyâ Efendi Complex in Yıldız, Istanbul, Turkey
Sheikh Yahyâ Efendi Complex

After Yahyâ Efendi’s death, Sultan Selim III built a mausoleum designed by Mimar Sinan (c. 1490-1588) and the lodge was expanded. A fountain was added by Cezayirli Gazi Hasan Pasha (1713-1790) in 1777. New dervish cells were added and the lodge was further enlarged in 1812. Land from the complex was later annexed by Yıldız and Çırağan palaces in the 19th century. Hacı Mahmud Efendi built a library in 1901. After the lodge was shut down by the Turkish Republic in 1925, the complex continued to be used as a mosque.

 

Entrance to the Complex

While walking up the hill to the complex, you’ll come to a white marble fountain on the righthand side. It was placed there by Yahyâ Efendi in 1538 as the first fountain on the site. From there, the road turns sharply to the right and a narrow lane leads to the complex entrance.

Fountain outside the Sheikh Yahyâ Efendi Complex
Fountain
Path to the Sheikh Yahyâ Efendi Complex
Path to the complex

The Hacı Mahmud Efendi Library is right next to the entrance. It’s a one-story rectangular brick building with a wooden roof. The books were transferred to the Süleymaniye Library in 1940.

Entrance to the Sheikh Yahyâ Efendi Complex
Entrance

 

Main Building

The main building of the complex contains the lodge, mosque, and two tombs. The entrance opens to a long corridor. At the end and to the right is another corridor lined with a few burials.

Main building of the Sheikh Yahyâ Efendi Complex
Main building
Main building of the Sheikh Yahyâ Efendi Complex
Main building
First corridor in the main building of the Sheikh Yahyâ Efendi Complex
First corridor
Corridor with burials in the main building of the Sheikh Yahyâ Efendi Complex in Yıldız, Istanbul, Turkey
Corridor with burials



 

Tomb of Yahyâ Efendi

On the right side is the entrance portal to the tomb of Yahyâ Efendi. The tomb of measures 9 x 9 meters with an opening to the mosque on the south wall. The sarcophagus of Yahyâ Efendi is next to the opening.

Entrance portal to the tomb of Yahyâ Efendi in the main building of the Sheikh Yahyâ Efendi Complex
Entrance portal
Tomb of Yahyâ Efendi in the main building of the Sheikh Yahyâ Efendi Complex in Yıldız, Istanbul, Turkey
Tomb of Yahyâ Efendi
Sarcophagus of Yahyâ Efendi in the main building of the Sheikh Yahyâ Efendi Complex
Sarcophagus of Yahyâ Efendi
Sarcophagus of Yahyâ Efendi in the main building of the Sheikh Yahyâ Efendi Complex in Yıldız, Istanbul, Turkey
Sarcophagus of Yahyâ Efendi

There are 10 other burials in the tomb. They include Sultan Abdülhamid II‘s daughter Hatice Sultan (d. 1897-1898) and son Mehmed Bedrettin Efendi (1901-1903); Tasasız Râziye Sultan (c. 1519-c. 1520), the daughter of Süleyman the Magnificent; Yahyâ Efendi’s mother Afife Hatun, wife Şerife Hatun, and son Sheikh Ibrahim Efendi; Dervish Ali and his son Sheikh Ali Efendi; and Sheikh Mehmed Nûri Şemseddin Efendi and his grandson Sheikh Hasan Hayri Efendi. Each grave is surrounded by wooden railings inlaid with mother-of-pearl.

Other burials in the Tomb of Yahyâ Efendi in the main building of the Sheikh Yahyâ Efendi Complex in Yıldız, Istanbul, Turkey
Other burials
Sarcophagus of Sheikh Mehmed Nûri Şemseddin Efendi in the Tomb of Yahyâ Efendi in the main building of the Sheikh Yahyâ Efendi Complex
Sarcophagus of Sheikh Mehmed Nûri Şemseddin Efendi
Ceiling of the Tomb of Yahyâ Efendi in the main building of the Sheikh Yahyâ Efendi Complex
Ceiling

 

Tomb of Güzelce Ali Pasha

Continuing out of the tomb and down the corridor is a third corridor. If you follow the corridor to the left, it connects to the tomb of Güzelce Ali Pasha (d. 1621), a Grand Admiral of the Ottoman Navy and Grand Vizier under Sultan Osman II from 1619 to 1621. It’s on a square plan measuring 7 x 7 meters and topped by a dome.

Third corridor in the main building of the Sheikh Yahyâ Efendi Complex in Yıldız, Istanbul, Turkey
Third corridor
Entrance to the tomb of Güzelce Ali Pasha in the main building of the Sheikh Yahyâ Efendi Complex
Entrance
Tomb of Güzelce Ali Pasha in the main building of the Sheikh Yahyâ Efendi Complex in Yıldız, Istanbul, Turkey
Tomb of Güzelce Ali Pasha
Dome of the tomb of Güzelce Ali Pasha in the main building of the Sheikh Yahyâ Efendi Complex
Dome

There’s a total of six 17th century marble sarcophagi in the room, each elegantly decorated with golden motifs. The other five belong to members of Güzelce Ali Pasha’s family.

Sarcophagus of Güzelce Ali Pasha in the main building of the Sheikh Yahyâ Efendi Complex in Yıldız, Istanbul, Turkey
Sarcophagus of Güzelce Ali Pasha
Marble sarcophagi in the tomb of Güzelce Ali Pasha in the main building of the Sheikh Yahyâ Efendi Complex in Yıldız, Istanbul, Turkey
Marble sarcophagi
Sarcophagus of Hüseyin Bey, son of Güzelce Ali Pasha in the tomb of Güzelce Ali Pasha in the main building of the Sheikh Yahyâ Efendi Complex
Sarcophagus of Hüseyin Bey, son of Güzelce Ali Pasha



 

Yahyâ Efendi Mosque

If you follow the corridor to the right, you’ll find the Yahyâ Efendi Mosque (Yahyâ Efendi Camii). It’s rectangular in shape and covers an area measuring 15.5 x 9 meters. The windows on the south wall, on both sides of the mihrab provide fantastic views of the Bosporus.

Mosque in the main building of the Sheikh Yahyâ Efendi Complex in Yıldız, Istanbul, Turkey
Mosque
Mosque in the main building of the Sheikh Yahyâ Efendi Complex in Yıldız, Istanbul, Turkey
Mosque
Mihrab of the mosque in the main building of the Sheikh Yahyâ Efendi Complex
Mihrab

A narrow stairway outside the entrance lead to the Sultan’s loge and the women’s section. The Sultan’s loge is on the east side of the prayer hall and is covered by a gilded screen believed to be crafted at the carpentry workshop of Yıldız Palace. The women’s section is on the west side. The ceiling is formed by a low dome and on the north wall is graffiti in Arabic script protected by a plastic screen.

Sultan's loge in the mosque in the main building of the Sheikh Yahyâ Efendi Complex in Yıldız, Istanbul, Turkey
Sultan’s loge
Ceiling of the mosque in the main building of the Sheikh Yahyâ Efendi Complex
Ceiling
Graffiti in the mosque in the main building of the Sheikh Yahyâ Efendi Complex
Graffiti

To enjoy the views, you can walk around the outside of the building to the exterior wall of the mosque.

Exterior of the mosque at the main building of the Sheikh Yahyâ Efendi Complex in Yıldız, Istanbul, Turkey
Exterior of the mosque
Bosporus from the Sheikh Yahyâ Efendi Complex in Yıldız, Istanbul, Turkey
Bosporus
Üsküdar from the Sheikh Yahyâ Efendi Complex in Yıldız, Istanbul, Turkey
Üsküdar
Kuzguncuk from the Sheikh Yahyâ Efendi Complex
Kuzguncuk

 

Cemetery

Since the second half of the 16th century, thousands of people have been buried in the cemetery at the Sheikh Yahyâ Efendi Complex. They include Ottoman officials, religious leaders, members of the Imperial Court, and many others.

Cemetery at the Sheikh Yahyâ Efendi Complex in Yıldız, Istanbul, Turkey
Cemetery
Cemetery at the Sheikh Yahyâ Efendi Complex
Cemetery
Path through the cemetery at the Sheikh Yahyâ Efendi Complex
Path through the cemetery

The so-called Tomb of the Princes (Şehzadeler Türbesi), on the west side of the cemetery, was built in the late 19th century by Sultan Abdülhamid II. Inside are the burials of 14 princes and princesses, the children of Sultans Abdülmecid I, Murad V, and Abdülhamid II.

Tomb of the Princes in the cemetery at the Sheikh Yahyâ Efendi Complex
Tomb of the Princes
Tomb of the Princes in the cemetery at the Sheikh Yahyâ Efendi Complex in Yıldız, Istanbul, Turkey
Tomb of the Princes

 

Map of Yıldız

Author

Owner of Paisadventure. World traveler. Purdue Boilermaker. Chicago sports lover. Living in Colombia.

Write A Comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Jump To