Last updated on .

Aşiyan is a small area along the European side of the Bosphorus in Istanbul, Turkey. It’s located in the Beşiktaş district, nestled between Bebek and Rumelihisarı.

 

Introduction to Aşiyan

Aşiyan, which translates to bird’s nest in Persian, is named for the house of poet Tevfik Fikret. It was originally called Kayalar Village (Kayalar Köyü), and by the 17th century consisted of a small mosque on the shore, some gardens, and a Muslim cemetery. The name Kayalar has been all but forgotten save for a small mosque with the same name.

Today, it’s a very small area known mostly for its cemetery and museum. There are a handful of homes on the hillside as well as incredible Bosphorus views.

 

Getting to Aşiyan

To get to Aşiyan, you can take the 40T bus from the Park Otel stop in Gümüşsuyu near Taksim Square; the 22 or 40T from Kabataş; or the 22, 22RE, 40, or 40T from Beşiktaş. You can also take a ferry from Üsküdar on the City Ferry Lines (Şehir Hatları).



 

Aşiyan Cemetery

The Aşiyan Cemetery (Aşiyan Mezarlığı) takes up the majority of the area. It was founded in the 16th century and is the second most important Muslim cemetery along the Bosphorus. Many intellectuals, singers, actors, writers, and artists are buried there including poets Yahya Kemal (1884-1958), Orhan Veli (1914-1950), and Ahmet Hamdi Tanpınar; and artist Abidin Dino (1913-1993). The graves of Fatma Ulviye Sultan (1892-1967), Rukiye Sabiha Sultan (1894-1971), Fatma Neslişah Sultan (1921-2012), Zehra Hanzade Sultan (1923-1998), and Necla Hibetullah Sultan (1926-2006), who were some of the last members of the Ottoman dynasty, can also be found in the cemetery.

Aşiyan Cemetery in Aşiyan, Istanbul, Turkey
Aşiyan Cemetery

 

Aşiyan Museum

Up a path just past the entrance to the cemetery is the Aşiyan Museum (Aşiyan Müzesi). It’s the home of Ottoman poet Tevfik Fikret (1867-1915), who’s considered the father of modern Turkish poetry. Fikret designed the house himself and lived there from 1906 to 1915.

Gates to the museum
Gates
Path to the museum
Path to the museum
Steps up to the museum
Steps up to the museum

In 1940, on a project spearheaded by Governor and Mayor Lütfi Kırdar (1887-1961), the municipality purchased the home from Fikret’s wife, Nazime Hanım. It opened to the public in 1945 as the Museum of New Literature (Edebiyat-i Cedide Müzesi), the first literary museum in Turkey.

Aşiyan Museum in Aşiyan, Istanbul, Turkey
Aşiyan Museum

The museum received its current name in 1961 after the remains of Tevfik Fikret were moved to the garden from his original burial place at Eyüp Cemetery. He was very fond of the spectacular Bosphorus view from the home.

Garden
Garden
Bosphorus view from the Aşiyan Museum in Aşiyan, Istanbul, Turkey
Bosphorus view

The museum was restored over a period of 18 months and reopened in December 2012. The restoration included the addition of custom-made furniture based on original photos as well as a wax sculpture of Tevfik Fikret.

 

Features of the Museum

Today, the home is arranged as it would have looked during the time Fikret lived there. The museum is open daily except Mondays. Admission for foreigners is ₺150 (as of May 2025). Photographs are forbidden inside the house.

Aşiyan Museum in Aşiyan, Istanbul, Turkey
Aşiyan Museum

The building has three stories. On the ground floor is where Fikret would welcome his guests. The main hall has a domed ceiling and stenciled decorations, while other rooms contain administrative offices.

Aşiyan Museum in Aşiyan, Istanbul, Turkey
Aşiyan Museum

On the first floor are two separate rooms dedicated to poets  Abdülhak Hâmid Tarhan (1851-1937) and Nigâr Hanım (1856-1918), both of the “New Literature Movement”. On display are their paintings, photos, books, and personal belongings.

Aşiyan Museum in Aşiyan, Istanbul, Turkey
Aşiyan Museum

The second floor contains Fikret’s study and bedroom. His personal belongings, writing desk, armchair, and paintings and drawings he made are exhibited. In the bedroom is his death mask. There’s also a painting Ottoman Caliph Abdülmecid II made as a prince, inspired by Fikret’s poem “Sis” (Fog).



 

Grave of Tevfik Fikret

In the garden you’ll find Fikret’s grave. He was born Mehmed Tevfik on December 24, 1867, in Constantinople. His father, Hüseyin Efendi, was originally from the Central Anatolian town of Çerkeş in the sanjak of Çankırı. He was exiled for being a political opponent of the Ottoman regime. Fikret’s mother, Hatice Refia Hanım, was a Greek Muslim convert from the island of Chios. She died when he was very young.

Grave of Tevfik Fikret at the Aşiyan Museum in Aşiyan, Istanbul, Turkey
Grave of Tevfik Fikret

Fikret was educated at Galatasaray High School and graduated as valedictorian in 1888. He later became the school’s principal. He married his cousin Nazime in 1890, and their son Haluk was born in 1895. Fikret left Galatasaray High School in 1894 and published articles for the literary magazine Malûmat (The Information). He accepted a teaching position at Robert College in 1896. He built the house on the campus grounds and worked there until his death.

Grave of Tevfik Fikret at the Aşiyan Museum in Aşiyan, Istanbul, Turkey
Grave of Tevfik Fikret

Also in 1896, Fikret became editor of the Servet-i Fünun (The Wealth of Knowledge). He was an advocate for free speech and constitutional government and critical of Islamic conservatism and nationalism, often openly criticizing Sultan Abdülhamid II. This led to his works being banned by the Ottoman government in 1901. He was frequently harassed and investigated by Ottoman police. Fikret died on August 19, 1915, due to complications from diabetes he refused to treat.

 

Kayalar Mosque

The small Kayalar Mosque is on the south end of the neighborhood near the ferry terminal. It was originally built in 1662 by Nişancı Sıdkı Ahmed Pasha and its architect is unknown. The original mosque was demolished in the 19th century and rebuilt out of wood in 1877 by Sheikh Ahmed Niyazi Efendi (1844-1900).

Kayalar Mosque in Aşiyan, Istanbul, Turkey
Kayalar Mosque

The mosque was abandoned in 1925 after Mustafa Kemal Atatürk (c. 1881-1938) ordered the closure of all Sufi lodges. After falling into disrepair, it was restored and reopened for worship in 1987. The back of the mosque leans up against the rocky slope.

 

Map of Aşiyan

Author

Owner of Paisadventure. World traveler. Purdue Boilermaker. Chicago sports lover. Living in Colombia.

Write A Comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Jump To