Last updated on .

The Venetian Ghetto was the world’s first Jewish ghetto. It’s located in the district (sestiere) of Cannaregio in the UNESCO World Heritage city of Venice, Italy.

 

History of the Venetian Ghetto

On March 29, 1516, Doge Leonardo Loredan (1436-1521) and the Venetian Senate declared that all Jews had to live in an area where the city’s foundries had once been located. The area, known as “giotto” or “geto” in the Venetian dialect, was separated from the rest of Venice and Jews had to wear a sign of identification. It was closed every night at sunset and didn’t open until sunrise the next day. Patrol boats would surround the canals to prevent anyone from leaving. On July 11, 1797, shortly after the Fall of the Republic of Venice, Napoleon abolished the Ghetto and ended Jewish segregation from the rest of the city.

Venetian Ghetto, Venice, Italy
Venetian Ghetto

There were roughly 700 Jews in Venice at the time the Ghetto was established. However, in 1541, the Ghetto Vecchio was created to accommodate an increase in Jewish migrants, followed by the Ghetto Novissimo in 1633. The community grew to 5,000 in the early 17th century.

Venetian Ghetto, Venice, Italy
Venetian Ghetto

In 1931, there were a recorded 1,814 members of the Jewish community of Venice. By 1938, when fascist laws came into effect, the population had dwindled to about 1,200. After the arrival of Nazi troops on September 8, 1943, the situation deteriorated further. Between December 5, 1943 and the summer of 1944, around 150 Jews were rounded up, sent to concentration camps, and subsequently murdered. By the end of 1945, the number of Jews in Venice had dropped to around 1,050. Today, there are fewer than 500 members of the Jewish community remaining, and the Ghetto remains the center of Jewish life in the city.


 

Guided Tours of the Venetian Ghetto

The tour of the Venetian Ghetto, run by the Jewish Museum, was one of the most captivating tours we took in Venice. We not only visited some beautiful synagogues, but we were also given an in-depth look at life in the Ghetto and learned a lot about the Jewish community of Venice. Overall, we felt the tour was excellent.

The tour covers the historic buildings of the Ghetto. It’s conducted in English hourly from 10am to 5pm, Sunday through Friday. Tickets are €15 for adults, €13 for kids over 6 and students up to 26, a free for kids under 6 (as of April 2025), and include admission to the museum. Our tour lasted about 40 minutes and took us to three of the five historic synagogues. Current tour information can be found on the official Venetian Ghetto website.

There are an also a few different options for private guided tours. A 60-minute tour to two requested synagogues, the Secret Garden, and a Midrash, costs €100 per group plus €17 per person. A 90-minute tour to three requested synagogues, the Secret Garden, and a Midrash, costs €150 per group plus €17 per person. Finally, a guided tour of the Jewish cemetery on the Lido is €200 per group plus €17 per person. All prices are current as of April 2025.

 

Bridges to the Venetian Ghetto

The entrance to the Ghetto is via two bridges that lead to the Campo di Ghetto Novo. The main bridge is the Ponte de Ghetto Novo, which is on the north side. The other bridge, on the east side, leads to the Sottoportego di Ghetto Novo, which is a corridor underneath a building.

Ponte de Ghetto Novo
Ponte de Ghetto Novo
Bridge to the Sottoportego di Ghetto Novo
Bridge to the Sottoportego di Ghetto Novo

 

Campo di Ghetto Novo

Campo di Ghetto Novo is the main square of the Venetian Ghetto. It’s a large open space surrounded by buildings that are unusually tall for Venice. There are a few art galleries, a restaurant, and shops as well as some synagogues. Wells in the center were used to gather water.

Campo di Ghetto Novo in the Venetian Ghetto, Venice, Italy
Campo di Ghetto Novo
Campo di Ghetto Novo
Campo di Ghetto Novo
West side of Campo di Ghetto Novo in the Venetian Ghetto, Venice, Italy
West side
South side of Campo di Ghetto Novo in the Venetian Ghetto, Venice, Italy
South side

 

Banco Rosso

Starting from the Ponte de Ghetto Novo and moving clockwise around the square is the Banco Rosso, which was the oldest of the Jewish pawn shops in the Ghetto. Jews were the only citizens allowed to run pawnshops, lend money, and sell secondhand clothing under the Republic of Venice. It sits under an arched portico.

Banco Rosso in the Venetian Ghetto, Venice, Italy
Banco Rosso
Portico on Campo di Ghetto Novo
Portico


 

Great German Synagogue

The Great German Synagogue (Scola Grande Tedesca) is the oldest synagogue in the Venetian Ghetto, founded in 1528 by Ashkenazi Jews from Germany. It was renovated between 1732 and 1733 and again in the 19th century, and closed to worship in October 1917. The synagogue is hard to spot from the exterior, except for the Hebrew lettering at the top of the building. It’s accessed through the Jewish Museum and was the first stop on our guided tour of the Venetian Ghetto.

Great German Synagogue in the Venetian Ghetto, Venice, Italy
Great German Synagogue
Great German Synagogue
Great German Synagogue

The interior of the Great German Synagogue is trapezoidal in shape. Around the lower walls is a continuous bench backed by cherry wood paneling with a stucco panel above. A red frieze with the text of the Ten Commandments runs around the entire perimeter at the top of the walls.

Great German Synagogue
Great German Synagogue
Ceiling and gallery of the Great German Synagogue
Ceiling and gallery

The bimah used to sit in the center but it was moved in 1860 and now sits opposite the ark. When it was moved, it resulted in the permanent closure of three of the five windows from the inside.

Bimah of the Great German Synagogue in the Venetian Ghetto, Venice, Italy
Bimah
Ark of the Great German Synagogue in the Venetian Ghetto, Venice, Italy
Ark

 

Jewish Museum

On the southwest corner is the Jewish Museum (Museo Ebraico), which was founded in 1953 to tell the story of the Jewish community of Venice. The museum does an excellent job of this, with captivating exhibits and interesting items on display. Admission to the museum is €12 for adults, €10 for kids over 6 and students up to age 26, and free for kids under 6 (as of April 2025). It’s open from Sunday to Friday.

Entrance to the Jewish Museum
Entrance to the Jewish Museum

 

Canton Synagogue

The Canton Synagogue (Scola Canton) sits on the southern corner of the Campo di Ghetto Novo and is attached the museum. It’s an Ashkenazi synagogue built in 1532, either by French Jews from Provence or a prominent family for private use. The synagogue was restored several times in the 16th, 17th, and 18th centuries, and was closed to worship in October 1917. Only the wooden dome of the bimah on the third floor is visible from the exterior. The ground floor housed a coffin warehouse while the second floor was a Talmud Torah school.

Canton Synagogue in the Venetian Ghetto, Venice, Italy
Canton Synagogue

The Canton Synagogue measures 12.9 × 7.1 × 12.7 × 6.5 meters (42 × 23 × 42 × 21 feet). It’s considered unique in Europe because it contains eight wooden panels with bas-reliefs depicting events from the Book of Exodus. The ark was carved and gilded in 1672. The bimah dates back to 1780 while the dome above it was built around 1730. The interior was gilded and walnut benches were placed along the longer walls in 1789.

Canton Synagogue
Canton Synagogue
Decorations in the Canton Synagogue
Decorations
Bimah of the Canton Synagogue in the Venetian Ghetto, Venice, Italy
Bimah
Ark of the Canton Synagogue in the Venetian Ghetto, Venice, Italy
Ark


 

Italian Synagogue

The Italian Synagogue (Scola Italiana) is on the west side of Campo di Ghetto Novo. It was built in 1566 and remodeled 1575 by Jews from central Italy, who were the poorest Jewish community in Venice. It’s the smallest and simplest of the five synagogues in the Venetian Ghetto. It features cherry wood benches along the walls and a 19th century ark. The Italian Synagogue was restored in 1970 and again in 2023. It was closed to visitors during our tour.

Italian Synagogue in the Venetian Ghetto, Venice, Italy
Italian Synagogue

 

Jewish Rest Home

On the north side of the square is the Jewish Rest Home (Casa Israelitica di Riposo), which was founded in 1890. During Nazi and fascist persecution, the Jews deported to concentration camps left from this building. Today, it functions as Rimon Place, the only Kosher hotel in the city.

Jewish Rest Home in the Venetian Ghetto, Venice, Italy
Jewish Rest Home
Jewish Rest Home
Jewish Rest Home

 

Holocaust Memorials by Arbit Blatas

On the wall to the left of the Jewish Rest Home is a Holocaust memorial by Arbit Blatas (1908-1999). It consists of seven bronze bas-relief plaques depicting scenes from the Holocaust. it was installed on April 25, 1980, and symbolic strand of barbed wire sits atop the wall.

Holocaust memorial by Arbit Blatas in the Venetian Ghetto, Venice, Italy
Holocaust memorial
Holocaust memorial
Holocaust memorial

On the wall to the right of the Jewish Rest Home is The Last Train, which was inaugurated in 1993. A bronze panel memorializes the 50th anniversary of the deportation of Jews from the Venetian Ghetto, depicting them boarding railroad cars. Behind it are planks of wood containing the name and age of each Jew deported from Venice. Only 7 of the 246 would return.

The Last Train by Arbit Blatas in the Venetian Ghetto, Venice, Italy
The Last Train

 

Plaques

In addition to the memorials, you’ll also find plaques embedded in the pavement, placed in front of buildings from which Jews were deported. They indicate the date and details of each deportation.

Memorial plaque in the Campo di Ghetto Novo
Memorial plaque


 

Ghetto Vecchio

The Venetian Ghetto was divided into two sections. The Ghetto Novo (New Ghetto) is linked to the Ghetto Vecchio (Old Ghetto) by the Ponte de Ghetto Vecchio. It was once occupied by a copper foundry and was granted to Levantine Jews in 1541. Despite the names, the Ghetto Novo is actually older than the Ghetto Vecchio.

Ghetto Vecchio in the Venetian Ghetto, Venice, Italy
Ghetto Vecchio

Calle del Ghetto Vecchio is the main street through the Ghetto Vecchio. It was lined with shops and features two Sephardic synagogues at the halfway point.

Ghetto Vecchio
Ghetto Vecchio
Tall buildings on Campo di Ghetto Novo
Tall buildings

 

Spanish Synagogue

The Spanish Synagogue (Scola Spagnola) was founded in 1581 by Sephardic Jews expelled from Spain and Portugal in 1492, finally reaching Venice in the 1550s. It’s the largest synagogue in the city and was probably restored by Baldassare Longhena (1598-1682) in 1635. It’s open for worship in the spring and summer.

Spanish Synagogue
Spanish Synagogue
Spanish Synagogue in the Venetian Ghetto, Venice, Italy
Spanish Synagogue
Holocaust memorial on the Spanish Synagogue
Holocaust memorial

The Spanish Synagogue is accessible via a staircase built in 1894. It has a brightly lit interior thanks to several large windows and three large chandeliers. The ark features marble columns, and an organ was installed in the bimah in the late 19th century.

Spanish Synagogue in the Venetian Ghetto, Venice, Italy
Spanish Synagogue
Ark of the Spanish Synagogue in the Venetian Ghetto, Venice, Italy
Ark
Bimah of the Spanish Synagogue
Bimah
Bimah of the Spanish Synagogue in the Venetian Ghetto, Venice, Italy
Bimah
Windows and gallery of the Spanish Synagogue
Windows and gallery


 

Levantine Synagogue

Across from the Spanish Synagogue is the Levantine Synagogue (Scola Levantina). It was built between 1538 and 1561 by Ottoman Jews from Turkey and Greece as the first Sephardic synagogue in Venice. As was the case with the Spanish Synagogue, the building was probably restored by Longhena in the 17th century. It was also restored between 1976 and 1981. The bimah was likely designed by Andrea Brustolon (1660-1732) while the ark was built in 1782. The Levantine Synagogue is in use during the autumn and winter when the Spanish Synagogue is closed.

Levantine Synagogue in the Venetian Ghetto, Venice, Italy
Levantine Synagogue

 

Ghetto Novissimo

The Ghetto Novissimo, created in 1633, consisted of three blocks of houses without shops or synagogues. It was the smallest of the three ghettos and accommodated mostly Sephardic Jews from Spain and Portugal.

Canal between the Ghetto Novo (left) and the Ghetto Novissimo (right)
Canal between the Ghetto Novo (left) and the Ghetto Novissimo (right)

 

Map with the Venetian Ghetto

Author

Owner of Paisadventure. World traveler. Chicago sports lover. Living in Colombia.

Write A Comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Jump To