Plaza San Martín opened on July 28, 1921, the 100th anniversary of Peru’s independence. It’s located within Lima’s UNESCO World Heritage listed historic city center. It was once home to the San Juan de Dios hospital, which was torn down in 1840, and a railway station torn down in 1911. The plaza is surrounded by several beautiful white buildings built between 1914 and 1945.
Buildings of note are Club Nacional, Cine Teatro Colón, and Gran Hotel Bolívar.
In the center of the plaza is a monument to the Argentinian liberator of Perú, José de San Martín. The statue of Madre Patria underneath wears a crown with a llama. It was supposed to be a crown of flames, which is also “llama” in Spanish, but the artist made am obvious mistake.