Sinaia Monastery

On the way up to Peleș Castle, it’s worth popping in to see the Sinaia Monastery. The town of Sinaia was named after the monastery which was named after Mount Sinai. Romanian Prince Mihail Cantacuzino, a descendant of the Byzantine royal family, went on a pilgrimage there. Upon his return to Romania he founded the monastery in Sinaia in 1695. Visiting the monastery is free but a small optional museum is on the grounds and charges a 5 lei admission.

Sinaia Monastery in Sinaia, Romania

Sinaia Monastery

Sinaia Monastery in Sinaia, Romania

Sinaia Monastery

After passing through the gates next to the 1892 bell tower, the first structure you will see is the Great Church. It was built in 1842 and was the first church in Romania to use electric lights.

Great Church at Sinaia Monastery in Sinaia, Romania

Great Church

The much smaller Old Church was built in 1695 and has some impressive iconography done by Pârvu Mutu.

Old Church at Sinaia Monastery in Sinaia, Romania

Old Church

Old Church at Sinaia Monastery in Sinaia, Romania

Old Church

Old Church at Sinaia Monastery in Sinaia, Romania

Old Church

Old Church at Sinaia Monastery in Sinaia, Romania

Old Church

Old Church at Sinaia Monastery in Sinaia, Romania

Old Church

The grave of former Romanian Prime Minister Take Ionescu is in a small room off the inner courtyard. The walls are carved with excerpts from his speeches.

Tomb of Take Ionescu at Sinaia Monastery in Sinaia, Romania

Tomb of Take Ionescu

%d bloggers like this: