Nesebur is a UNESCO World Heritage site because it contains a wealth of Medieval churches in the historic city. A few were built by the Byzantines and others are in the Byzantine style built by the Bulgarians. The churches are either in ruins or used for different purposes today. The only church covered in another entry is Sveti Stefan.
Basilica of Hagia Sophia
Hagia Sophia was a Byzantine church built in the 5th century. It was situated in the center of the ancient city and is the largest of the churches that survive today in some form. In 1257, it was looted by the Venetians and many relics were taken to the Church of San Salvatore in Venice. By the 18th century, it was abandoned.
Basilica of Panagia Eleousa
Part of a Byzantine monastery, the Basilica of Panagia Eleousa was built in the 6th century on the northern end of the peninsula. It was active until the 14th century and probably destroyed in an earthquake. The northern part of the church had sunk into the sea, but excavations in 1920 partially restored it. The ruins of a windmill stand nearby.
Church of St. John the Baptist
The Byzantine-style Church of St. John the Baptist was built in the 11th century by the Bulgarians.
Church of Sveti Todor
The small Church of Sveti Todor (St. Theodore) was a Byzantine-style church built by the Bulgarians in the 13th century. It now serves as an art gallery.
Church of Sveta Paraskeva
The Byzantine-style Church of Sveta Paraskeva was built in the 13th century by the Bulgarians. It’s not known which saint named Paraskevi the church was dedicated to.
Church of the Holy Archangels Michael and Gabriel
The Church of the Holy Archangels Michael and Gabriel, now in ruins, was a Byzantine-style church built by the Bulgarians in the 13th century.
Church of Christ Pantokrator
Near the entrance to the peninsula, the Church of Christ Pantokrator now serves as an art gallery. It was a Byzantine-style church built in the late 13th or early 14th century by the Bulgarians.
Church of St John Aliturgetos
The Byzantine-style church of Church of St John Aliturgetos was built in the 14th century but was never consecrated. Legend has it that a builder fell and died during construction, and church canon would not allow a place of worship where someone had been killed. It was badly damaged in an earthquake in 1913.